Sunday, March 30, 2008

Honeymooners Wine Humor

Most of my friends and family know me as a honeymooners nut! I sometimes do a weekly trivia show as Brother Norton (ohh no, the secret is out!). And if you go to itunes and search the podcasts for 'the honeymooners' you will find my show there for download.

This week marks the 52nd anniversary of the airing of a Classic 39 episode called HEAD OF THE HOUSE. In this episode Ralph, once again, runs off his big mouth and tells a newspaper reporter that he is the boss of the house! Alice is angry when she finds out what Ralph thinks about woman (and particularly her). Ralph decides to pull out a bottle of wine he was going to give to Alice's brother for Christmas. He goes up to get Norton to celebrate his 'emancipation'. While he's upstairs Alice replaces the wine with grape juice.

Art Carney shares in some memories of this episode: "I remember one of my favorite scenes was the wine and the grape juice," says Carney. "We really were laughing at each other - he broke me up and I'm sure I broke him up. But it was part of the thing, because we were supposed to be laughing... crocked and everything. Funny scene."

Here is the original dialogue from that episode (courtesy of the Official Honeymooners Treasury) Mostly Gleason and Carney never went exactly by what was written.

RALPH: Well, how about getting down to business.
NORTON: Nice-looking bottle of wine, Ralph.
RALPH: Yeah. Norton, you gotta be pretty careful when you're buying wine. When I went in the store, the guy tried to talk me into buying a stale bottle of 1939 stuff. But I was too smart for him. I made him give me a bottle of fresh wine - 1956!

NORTON: Guess they have a tough time getting rid of that old stuff.
Ralph pours into Norton's water glass till it's half-full.
NORTON: That's enough, Ralph. I'd rather start with a short one.
RALPH: Well, let's drink to all the poor souls in the world who're afraid of their wives.
NORTON: As we say in the sewer, Ralph, here's mud in your eye!
They drink bottoms up. After drink, Norton considers the taste a moment.
NORTON: An amusing little wine.
RALPH: Sure goes down smooth.. but when it get down - what a kick!
NORTON: Va va va voom!


No comments: