Saturday, May 17, 2008

Watch Out Summer!

Some people do rain dances to conjure up a rain storm.. some people have their lucky trinkets with them when competing for a game show.... I START DIGGIN' when I want summer to get here! Or I sometimes have a Corona (with a slice of lime)

That's right... it's time to get the garden going! Today I went out to Home Depot and picked up 6 tomato plants, 6 green pepper plants, and 3 cucumber plants. Last year was a bad year for growing or at least in this part of PA. I had a rabbit problem with the pepper plants and I'm still looking for a solution (anyone?) to keep the rabbits out of the garden; besides building a 4 foot fence (which I have thought of). I had 4 plants and the rabbits literally ate the plants right after they started to flower.


I did grow cucumbers once (when we lived in Washington, NJ) with little success. I got about 4 good cucs... that's why you see the trellis in the photo... it's for the cucs! Wish me luck this year! I'm usually pretty good with tomatoes. The year before last was a great growing year. I had about 70 - 80 tomatoes off of 6 plants... and considering all the plants cost a 1.99 it would have been about $80.00-$100.00 at the store to buy that many (not that I needed that many; I do give some away).


If you are wondering about the rocks in the photo I just placed them there for now ... and will probably keep them there since Carter has been catching crickets; they live under the rocks.


Tune in next time to see how the garden grows..



1 comment:

Tom said...

You may want to figure out how to grow a summer mix from what i understand...